732-747-0241 Ext . 221
The position of Borough Clerk is required by New Jersey law (N.J.S.A. 40A: 9-133) to serve as Secretary to the Mayor and Council, Secretary to the municipal corporation, Chief Registrar of Voters and local Election official, custodian of public records, and chief administrative officer of licenses and permits.
The public can review and obtain copies of Council meeting minutes, ordinances, resolutions and other public records permitted by law at the Office of the Borough Clerk located in Borough Hall. Under the Open Public Records Act ("OPRA"), there is a charge for copies of public records that is set by State Statute (N.J.S.A. 47: 1A-2) and adopted by the Borough Council. It is a requirement that requests be made in writing when requesting access to or copies of public records. A formal "Request for Access to Public Records" form is available for downloading, and details on the processing of all OPRA requests are included on the form.
In Fair Haven, the Office of the Borough Clerk issues permits for the following and applications (with corresponding fee schedules) are available for completion:
Street opening permits
Garage sale permits
Boat ramp permits
For Fair Haven residents to use the Recycling Center proof of residency such as a valid NJ driver's license displaying a Fair Haven address and non-commercial vehicle registration should be presented.
The following applications are also available during regular business hours, but require either governing body approval and/or State approval and the Clerk's office can explain the details pertaining to each:
Social Affairs Permit Applications for use by non-profit organizations to serve alcoholic beverages at an event open to the public are available, but require State approval and fees to be paid to the State of New Jersey.
Raffle Applications for use by non-profit organizations that are registered with the Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission (State agency). These forms must be approved by the Mayor and Council and the State before a license can be issued for the event. There are fees required by both the municipality and the State and are based on the type of raffle event to be held.
Requests to close streets for neighborhood block parties must be in letter form addressed to the Mayor and Council stating the proposed date of the block party, the hours of the party, and an indication of how many families are involved in the event. The letter can be submitted to the Borough Clerk who will schedule it for Council consideration at the next meeting of the governing body.
Boat Ramp Regulations
following approv 1. Permits issued are for a calendar year. Permits are non-transferable and are authorized only for the boats and vehicles applied for and covered by each Permit.
2. Persons engaged in launching or hauling out their boats shall have their Permit upon their person and shall exhibit their Permit when so requested by a police officer or other agent or employee of the Borough. When the boat or water craft is waterborne, the Permit shall be displayed by hanging from the rear view mirror inside the parking towing vehicle.
3. The Boat Ramp shall be closed between the hours of 11:00 PM and 5:00 AM. No boat shall be launched or hauled out between these hours, or at such other times as the Ramp shall be posted as "closed" by the Borough.
4. Any Permit holder who shall violate any parking or other traffic ordinances on any street adjacent to the Municipal Ramp shall have their Permit revoked after the second violation. The Borough reserves the right to revoke any Permit, or decline to issue or renew any Permit, for violations of rules concerning use of the ramp or conduct detrimental to the public use of the Ramp.
Procedure for Obtaining a Raffle License
1. Any Organization applying for a Raffle License must have an identification number/registration certificate which is issued by the State of New Jersey, Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission (973) 273-8000.
2. Filing - License applications shall be filed in quadruplicate with the Municipal Clerk and the Registration Certificate must be provided with each application.
Following approval of the Municipal Clerk files the application with Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission (LGCCC) within three days of its approval. The Municipal Clerk may not issue the License for fourteen (14) days after its approval. This means that organizations may not have tickets printed until at least 2 weeks after the approval.
3. Contents of the Ticket; off-premise raffles (selling tickets prior to the date of the raffle). Whenever a licensee shall submit an application to the Municipal Clerk, two sample ticket forms must accompany the application. a. Name and identification number of the qualified organization and number of the license issued for the occasion; b. Place where the occasion will be held and the date and time; c. A list of the prizes and the retail value of each; d. The number of the ticket; e. Price of the ticket; f. The purpose to which the entire net proceeds will be devoted; g. The statement: "No substitution of the offered prize may be made and no cash will be given in lieu of the prize." h. The presence of the holder of a ticket shall not be required in order to win unless the ticket bears the statement "NOT VAILD UNLESS HOLDER IS PRESENT AT THE DRAWING." i. The stub of each ticket shall bear the name and address of the holder, the number of the ticket, the raffle license number issued for the occasion and the identification number of the organization.
4. Off-premise 50/50 cash raffle
Same as above, except for item c. shall read;
The statement: "this is a 50/50 cash raffle and the winner will receive 50 percent of the amount received for all tickets or rights to participate."
If the prize pool is to be divided among multiple winners, the ticket must indicate the percentage of the prize pool that each winner will receive.
5. Fees due to LGCCC and the Borough of Fair Haven a. off-premise raffle; $20.00 for each $1,000. or part thereof of the retail value of the prize. (i.e. a raffle with the total amount of the prizes being $2,559. Would pay both the LGCCC and the Borough $30.00.) Fees are due at the time the application is filed with the Municipal Clerk. b. Off-premise 50/50 raffles; $20.00 fee shall be paid the LGCC and $20.00 to the Borough at the time the application is filed. In the event that the awarded prize exceeds $1,000, then an additional fee of $20.00 per thousand or part thereof in value of the awarded prize shall be forwarded to LGCCC together with the Report of Raffles Operations. c. On-premise raffles: (a raffle conducted in which all tickets are sold only at the event and not prior to the event) $20.00 to both LGCCC and the Borough for each day a drawing is to be held.
Checks should be made payable to Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission and the Borough of Fair Haven.
6. Prohibited Prizes a. 1. No licensee shall offer any prize of real estate or an interest therein, bonds, stocks, securities, weapons, live animals, personal or professional services, alcoholic beverages, foreign or domestic coins, or any merchandise refundable in any of the foregoing or in money or cash . b. No prize consisting of cash or money may be offered or awarded except in the case of a 50/50 raffle.
7. Report of Raffles Operations
The report of operations shall be on a form provided by the LGCCC. The report shall contain the following information: a. Gross receipts derived from each game; b. Expenses incurred or paid, to whom paid and a description of the merchandise purchased or the services rendered therefor; c. Net profit from each game and the uses to which the net profit has been or will be applied; d. A list of prizes offered or given and their respective values; e. The licensee shall file one copy of the report with the LGCCC no later than the 15th day of the calendar month immediately following the calendar month in which the licensed activity was held. f. Off-premise raffle licensees shall secure from the printer of tickets a certificate showing:
- The number of tickets printed
- The first and last numbers used
- That the tickets were consecutively numbered
- A sample of the actual ticket For any additional information you may need, please contact the office of the Borough Clerk 732-747-0241 ext.221 or Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission (973) 273-8000.