• Building Department Notification

The local Building Department is the agency that enforces the New Jersey State Uniform Building Code and local building and zoning codes.

In June, 2007, Fair Haven moved forward with a regionalization of our Construction Office. As a result of an agreement with the Borough of Rumson our construction office has merged with their office. This will provide superior service to Borough residents. Rumson has recently upgraded their computer systems to provide the latest in technological support for its construction office and the Construction Office will be available to Fair Haven residents during a wider range of times. In addition, there will be a substantial cost savings to the Borough of Fair Haven, as well as the ability to re-purpose much needed space in our own Borough Hall. We are very proud of this arrangement, and it will be a benefit to all of our residents.

Contractors must follow local ordinances with respect to hours of operation, safety and general site maintenance. For more information please click on CONSTRUCTION RELATED ORDINANCES.

Please direct all construction inquiries to Lynda Doyle, Construction Technical Assistant in the Rumson Office at (732) 842-3022. The office is located at the Rumson Municipal Building, 80 East River Rd., Rumson, New Jersey. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. On Fridays we are closed from 1:00pm-2:00pm.  

If you are contemplating doing any of the following work, please call or visit the Construction Office at Rumson Borough Hall.

  • New building / additions / renovations*
  • Demolitions*
  • Electrical and plumbing work
  • Boiler and furnace replacements
  • AC Units*
  • Window replacement when changing size or type
  • Oil tank removal
  • Re-roofing / Siding
  • Fences* 
  • Sheds*
  • Pools*
  • Signs*
  • Miscellaneous residential construction such as decks, patios, driveways, etc.*
  • For these projects, residents should first submit their Zoning Permit Application directly to the Borough of Fair Haven Zoning Department – 748 River Road, Fair Haven. Once approved, it will be sent to the Construction Department for you or your contractor to pick up your Building Permit.

There is certain construction work that you may be allowed to do without first obtaining permits such as laying floor (not wall) tiles, painting, replacing same size windows and doors, roofing, siding, repaving driveway with the same material and same size, etc., but if you are in doubt, a call to the Building Department is recommended.

Permits must be obtained before that start of work except that emergency replacement of furnaces, boilers and water heaters will be allowed as long as the Building Department is notified of the replacement at the time of installation and permits are obtained within five days thereafter.

If you need a permit for the work, the permit process and fees will be explained to you by the Building Department personnel at the time of your visit or your telephone call, and you will be given the forms that you will need to apply for a permit.

The Permit Process in A Nutshell

  1. Visit or call your local code official.The Code Official will ask "What are you going to do and where are you going to do it?" Then, he will explain the requirements (codes/ordinances) regarding your project. The initial contact will provide the resources and information you will need to make your project a success and avoid the potential problems that could cost you time and money.
  2. Submit application.The permit application requires information about your construction project. You will be asked to document who will perform the work and what, when and how the work will be done. Sketches, drawings, plans or other documentation of the work will have to be submitted for review. Also, you must pay the appropriate permit fees.
  3. Waiting during review process. The majority of permit applications are processed with little delay. The Code Official will determine if your project is in compliance with the construction codes, zoning ordinance and other municipal or state ordinances and statutes.
  4. Receive results of review process.If compliance with the code and other applicable regulations is determined, the application is approved and a permit is issued. If compliance is not determined, your application as submitted will be denied. If you are refused a building permit, you can correct the Code violation(s) or you may appeal the decision.
  5. Receive permit.The building permit is the document granting legal permission for you or your contractor to start construction. You must proceed as approved pursuant to the permit. Inspections required for your project will be indicated on the permit. You will be required to post the permit in a window or other prominent place at the construction site, keep a copy of the approved plans at the site and bring any proposed changes to the attention of the Code Official immediately. Changes will require a review and approval in the same manner as the original application.
  6. Arrange inspection visits. Each major phase of construction must be inspected by the Code Official to make certain the work conforms to the appropriate code, the building permit, and the approved plans. Normally, 24 hours advance notice is required. You must call the Building Department to schedule an inspection.
  7. Receive Certificate of Occupancy. When code compliance is determined, the inspector issues a certificate of occupancy. This certificate is the formal document that marks the completion of your construction project and gives you permission to occupy your new or renovated building with the knowledge that it has satisfied the safety standards of the building code and the Borough of Fair Haven.

Understanding Zoning

Some permits, specifically those which involve changes to the exterior of your property, will require a zoning review, such as fences, pools, decks, tennis courts, additions, driveways, sheds, etc. You will be asked to submit a copy of your plot plan (property survey) so that the Zoning Officer can review your project for compliance with the Zoning Ordinance.

If you can not comply with the Zoning Ordinance for any reason, you must obtain a variance from the Zoning Board before your project can proceed. The Zoning Officer is charged with the responsibility of enforcing the Zoning Ordinance, but may not waive its requirements. That power is granted by law to the Board of Adjustment. If your project requires a variance, the Zoning Officer will explain the application process to you.

You may purchase a copy of the Zoning Ordinance, or you may purchase copies of specific pages of the code, to determine the requirements and limitations that apply in your particular zoning district, or you may simply discuss your project with the Zoning Officer.

Staff Contacts

Name Title Phone
Dennis Peras Construction Official (732) 842-3022
Lynda Doyle Construction Technical Assistant (732) 842-3022